Warning: the precision machined edges of CPVC column components can be extremely sharp. Use of appropriate personal protection equipment is required: wear gloves when handling the product, wear a dust mask when cutting the product, and always wear eye protection.
Use of polyurethane adhesive, such as Gorilla Glue®, Loctite® PL Premium® Adhesive, Christy’s™ Clear PVC Pipe Cement (or other clear PVC cement), or similar products is recommended. Always observe adhesive manufacturer’s instructions.
Assembly is easiest with pneumatic or electric pin-nailers. These should recess the head of the pin nails far enough that only a minor touch-up is necessary (touch-up with caulk prior to painting.)
Installers should read the installation instructions for CPVC column covers in addition to this document for more information (joints, etc.)
1) Install blocking around load bearing support (typically pressure treated post). Blocking should be made from pressure treated wood, and must be the same size as the inside of the pedestal/newel.
2) Smooth pedestals may be cut to shorter lengths if needed.
3) Apply polyurethane glue to both edges of ONE PANEL only.
4) Assemble two panels to glued edges of panel from step 3.
5) Pin-nail the three panels together into one unit. See column cover instructions!
6) Slide the three-panel shaft unit over the blocking, then attach. Apply glue to exposed vertical edges of panels.
7) Glue and attach final panel. For use as a newel, additional blocking should be added between panels and post (post would be cut off at height of shaft.)
8) Apply glue to backs and mitered edges of base moldings, then assemble to bottom of platform (same as no-taper column bases).
9) Note: top platform usually extends beyond top of shaft section (not shown in photo). Mouldings are applied under the top platform. Assemble top platform on top of shaft. Glue mitered edges, and attach with pin-nails. (Pyramid caps do not use top platform.)
10) Apply glue to backs and mitered edges of cap moldings, then assemble to shaft below top platform with pin-nails. (Mouldings, panels, trim, and top platforms may vary from photos depending on product styles.)
11) Caulk all seams, fill all nail holes, and clean surfaces with cleaner recommended by paint manufacturer. Finish with two coats of acrylic latex paint.