FiberFlute Classic™ FiberFlute Classic Fiberglass ColumnSplit for Reassembly Installation Instructions
Installer supplied materials:
- Blocking material
- Non-corrosive fasteners
- Premium grade polyurethane adhesive or epoxy adhesive
- Fiberglass repair materials similar to bondo
- Metal “L” brackets
Columns will arrive with shafts, capitals and bases split in halves. Each shaft half will be fitted with reattachment tabs. Split columns are non-load bearing.
- Columns that split for reassembly should be installed similarly to full columns as indicated in the standard Tuscan column installation instructions.
- Prior to erecting halves, pre-fit them on the ground.
- Lift the column half into place that is “tabbed” where the column shaft will be placed with blocking to act as an interior framework for the column halves. Lift the second column shaft half into place approximately 3 inches from the first shaft half. Pre-drill screw locations for attachment of column component halves.
- Apply high quality polyurethane or epoxy adhesive to the tabs and seam of both shaft halves. Quickly align shaft halves around the interior blocking and join together using small grabber screws. Wipe off excess adhesive from the surface of the column immediately. Attach the metal “L” brackets on the second shaft half to the structure using non-corrosive fasteners.
- Follow adhesive manufacturers curing guidelines. Be sure to account for cool or damp conditions. Upon completion of curing, remove grabber screws from the tabs. Fill screw holes with Bondo, and feather out shaft joint seam with fiberglass repair kit.
- Pre-drill capital halves and attach to beam using non-corrosive fasteners and construction adhesive.
- After installation of the capital and base, repair any nicks, screw holes or seams with fiberglass repair kit (Bondo brand).
- Insert polypropylene backer rope into joint between where the base/plinth meets the column shaft. Caulk joint where capital and base/plinth meet shaft with premium grade paintable caulk.
- Immediately after installation, apply two coats of premium latex paint to all exterior surfaces.